y’all… it was not easy to get through, but i finally finished “master your metabolism” by jillian michaels. i’ll be honest – it was kind of boring. HOWEVER, it was super informative, i learned a ton of new information, and i reaffirmed things i already knew but hadn’t quite accepted. the book is outlined with three concepts: remove, restore, and rebalance. there is an intro, three large chapters for these concepts, and then some resources in the back of the book.
so here are a few things that really stood out to me that i wrote down in my journal:
- the entire journey to health is about power. you give up your power when you fail to make the necessary changes. or you can gain back your power by learning how to make the changes happen.
- the average american woman has tried to lose weight at least ten times.
- genes are 30-70% responsible for obesity, but it is more about how your genes express themselves and your overall health.
- nature has provided us the cure for almost every health issue.
- you cannot cut out entire food groups and macronutrients (carbs, proteins, and fats).
- yo-yo dieting creates a dangerous pattern which makes you 3x more likely to be overweight, usually ends up cannibalizing muscle tissue, and completely screws up your metabolism.
- processed foods are not recognized as real food in the body. we as humans have not evolved as quickly as “food” has.
- portion sizes have increased 500% since the 1970s. these huge portions are poisonous to the body.
- “if it didn’t have a mother and it didn’t grow from the ground, don’t eat it.”
- calories DO count, but eating real food counts too.
- going organic does matter in some cases.